About this letter
- If you don’t know a specific person to address in the letter, use “Dear Human Resources” or call the human resources department at the company to find out to whom the letter should be addressed.
- The words in boldface throughout the letter below are keywords that were used in the job description (see below). Using the same keywords in the cover letter will get it through the organization’s applicant tracking software.
- The cover letter mentions commendation letters from a current employer.
- It’s contained on a single page.
A template for your own cover letter
Ms. Jane Smith
Director of Human Resources
Dear Ms. Smith:
I am responding to your job posting at Health Callings for a home health aide. I am a CNA with two years of experience in assisted living facilities working with geriatric patients, and five years in private homes caring for chronically ill adults and one pediatric patient.
Your two facilities in [location] are close to family members, and my husband has been hired as a nurse at nearby [name of hospital]. So the work in that area would be ideal in several ways.
I’m keenly aware of patients’ needs for a clean, safe home environment and an aide who can provide them the emotional support they require without expressing her own opinions — even when I’ve been asked. There’s a knack to listening and responding but not interjecting your own beliefs, and I’ve enclosed three letters from patients to my RN supervisor complimenting me on my demeanor and rehab care. And one said she enjoyed my meal preparations as much as my help with her exercises.
The enclosed resume offers more details about the types of patients I’ve cared for and my range of duties. I also am fluent in Spanish and several of my patients have been Hispanic — so I am very much aware of cultural issues in home care.
I look forward to discussing with you how my experience can benefit your facilities and patients.
Your name, with credentials
© Health Callings, Dice Holdings Inc., 2013
1. Assists the adult, geriatric, pediatric, and neonatal client with personal care activities as assigned by a qualified Registered Nurse or Therapist, inclusive of, but not limited to, bathing, dressing, oral hygiene, hair/skin care and feeding.
2. Accepts assignments and performs duties as deemed necessary by the Nurse/Homemaker- Home Health Aide Supervisor and renders services in strict accordance with the written plan of care and instructions of the RN or Therapist as identified in care plan.
3. Assists with medication management by reminding the adult, geriatric, pediatric, and neonatal client to take medication when needed as instructed by a qualified nurse/therapist and immediately notifying Nurse Case Manager or Supervisor if patient medications have not been taken. Assists with exercises, ambulation and transfer activities as instructed by a qualified nurse/therapist
4. After personal care has been rendered, performs normal household services essential to adult, geriatric, pediatric, and neonatal client care at home, including meal preparation, laundry and housekeeping that facilitate the client receiving sanitary and safe care at home. Assists with maintaining a clean, safe and healthy environment and provides basic emotional and psychological support to client and other members of the household by listening and without interjecting own advice or recommendations.
5. Adheres to all schedules and if schedule changes are required, reports this immediately to the scheduler and/or supervisor. Schedule will include at least every other weekend or the equivalent depending on the business needs and will be determined by the Supervisor.
6. Documentation of care provided will be submitted as per agency policy.
7. Demonstrates understanding of maintaining Patients’ Rights, Property and Privacy, and HIPAA.
8. Communicates effectively and tactfully with clients, recognizing their age, cultural diversity, needs, abilities and physical condition.
9. Can be depended upon to report to work on-time, use time off appropriately, and complete annual education & medical requirements.
10. This position will provide coverage in both homes and facilities, as assigned.
Minimum Requirements: Must have CNA Certification, drivers license, relaiable transportation, and flexible daytime availability.