This letter would be appropriate for a newly graduated LPN in response to a position that requires one year clinical experience. It shows how volunteer work can be used to demonstrate “experience.”
About this letter
- If you don’t know a specific person to address in the letter, use “Dear Human Resources at XX Company.”
- The words in boldface throughout the letter below are keywords that were used in the job description. Using the same keywords in the cover letter will get it through the organization’s applicant tracking software.
- The application includes a letter of recommendation from a nurse who has been shadowed by the applicant.
- Mentioning the organization’s mission statement shows you’ve done your homework.
- It’s contained on a single page.
- This letter is specifically written toward the job description found at the bottom of this page.
A template for your own cover letter
Human Resource Department
Dear Human Resources at XX Company,
This letter is in response to your job posting at HealthCallings.com for the position of Licensed Practical Nurse at your 5th Avenue facility.
Since graduating from XX Nursing School last spring, I have been job shadowing at the XX Family Clinic for the last nine months to further my clinical skills. For 20 hours per week, I shadow the clinic’s RNs as they prepare patients for examinations. This has given me the opportunity to practice my Spanish while interacting with patients and nurses in this fast-paced environment. And when the patient allows, I have recorded vital signs of seniors, toddlers and everyone in between. A letter of recommendation from Sally Smith, RN, who I have shadowed during this time is included with this application.
Additionally while pursuing full-time employment, I have volunteered at several Red Cross blood drives, and have been recognized for my excellent customer service skills in calming the nerves of first-time blood donors.
My state of Florida LPN license is up-to-date, as well as BCLS. I am available immediately, and I look forward to sharing more of my job-shadowing experiences with you — experiences that will help your organization provide world-class healthcare services to South Floridians.
Your name, with credentials
Your phone number
© Health Callings, Dice Holdings Inc., 2013
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of direct, technical nursing care functions in accordance with nursing care plans and physicians’ orders. Makes observations, takes vital signs and records data in patients’ charts and prepares patients for examinations. Observes patients, records pertinent information and reports significant symptoms, reactions and changes in patients’ condition to designated supervisor. Assist with monitoring the daily operations of the unit and reporting to designated supervisor. Provides team leader function in designated areas. Completion of a nursing program from an accredited School of Nursing. Current State of Florida LPN license. BCLS Healthsaver card required. One year experience in a clinical practice required. Ability to work in a fast paced, family oriented environment. Bilingual – English/Spanish perferred.